Building Permit Application Process
Note: Work may not begin until a signed permit has been received.
Listed below are general steps required to obtain a building permit from the Community Development Department of Springfield Township. Depending on the scope of the project, additional information or procedures might be required.
- Obtain and complete a Building Permit Application from the Community Development Department located in the Township Administration Building. The Workers' Compensation portion of the form must be completed. If the homeowner is performing the work, the homeowner must sign the application. If a contractor is performing the work, a Workers' Compensation Insurance Certificate listing Springfield Township as the certificate holder must be submitted.
- Submit three (3) copies of plans and specifications with enough detail that the plan reviewer can easily interpret the plans. The plans should be drawn to scale and labeled with all necessary dimensions. Depending on the scope of the project, the plans may be required to be signed and sealed by an architect or engineer.
- Submit a site plan showing the property that the proposed construction is to be performed. The plan must be to scale and include dimensions showing the location (distance) of existing structures and proposed construction from the property lines.
- Submit all the stated information along with the application fee, see fee schedule, to the Community Development Department. The proposed construction will be reviewed to ensure compliance with all codes adopted by Springfield Township. The appropriate person will be contacted should additional information be required. Once the plans are approved, the permit will be mailed to the person who signed the application.
Applications, Permits, and Documents
Building Permit Application
Building Permit Application for all new construction, alterations and additions, including decks, garages, storage sheds and the demolition of existing structures.
Electrical Permit Application
An electrical permit is required for all new construction, renovations and repairs. The fee schedule is listed on page two of the application.
Mechanical Permit App
This permit is for the installation, repair, replacement, or addition to any for any mechanical device including but not limited to HVAC systems, Solar Panels, Generators, Boilers, Heat Pumps, and Gas Fireplaces/Piping.
Plumbing Permit Application
This permit form must be completed and submitted by a licensed Master or Journeyman Plumber registered with Springfield Township. Permit fees are included on the application form.
Pool Pumping Permit
A pool pumping permit must be obtained in order to pump water from a swimming pool. Pool water may not be discharged over land or to a storm sewer. Please allow 48 hours for BCWSA to identify the proper discharge location.
Portable Storage Unit Permit
A permit is required to place a portable storage unit on your property. Often called "PODS", these structures are permitted for no longer than 60 days and must be located on a paved off-street surface at the furthest location from the street.
Repairable Vehicle Permit
Unless a vehicle is stored completely within a garage, owners of vehicles without valid state inspection and registration decals must obtain a Repairable Vehicle Permit from the Township. If a permit is approved, the owner of the vehicle is permitted 30 days to make any necessary repairs and bring the vehicle into compliance with local and state regulations.
- Building Permit Application
2018 Fee Schedule
The 2018 Fee Schedule includes a comprehensive list of permit fees for building and plumbing permits, zoning petitions, and other miscellaneous fees charged by the Community Development Department.
- 2018 Fee Schedule
Fire Protection Permits
Cooking Fire Suppression System
Permit application form for the installation of a commercial cooking fire suppression system.
Fire Alarm Application
Application form for the installation or modification of an automatic fire alarm system.
Fire Suppression (Sprinkler) System Application
Application form for the installation of commercial and residential automatic fire suppression (sprinkler) systems.
Storage Tank Application
Application for the installation or removal of below or above ground storage tanks.
Application for the installation of a tent or air supported structure.
- Cooking Fire Suppression System
Real Estate Transfers
Statement Of Certification For Real Estate Transfers
The Statement of Certification form must be completed for all Real Estate transactions occurring in Springfield Township. The cost is $60.00 for residential properties and $120 for non-residential properties. Please allow a minimum of two weeks for the Township to complete all required inspections.
- Statement Of Certification For Real Estate Transfers
Land Development & Zoning Documents
Subdivision And Land Development Application
This document contains a summary of the Township's Subdivision and Land Development procedures, application forms and instructions for all applicants. Please refer to Chapter 95 "Subdivision of Land" of the Springfield Township Code, or contact the Township's Code Enforcement Officer for answers to specific questions.
Zoning Hearing Board Petition And Procedures
This document includes a petition to appear before the Zoning Hearing Board, detailed instructions for completing the form, and a filing fee schedule.
- Township Zoning Map
- Subdivision And Land Development Application
Township Building & Construction Codes
As a general guide, Springfield Township reviews and approves all new construction and renovation activities in accordance with the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code Act. The framework for the statewide building code is the International Construction Code (ICC) series listed below. Please note that the ICC series serves as the minimum code requirements. The Township has adopted several local amendments to the ICC that will not be found in the ICC series. View the Township Code on-line at General Code Website.
- International Building Code 2015
- International Residential Code 2015
- International Fire Code 2015
- International Plumbing Code 2015
- International Fuel Gas Code 2015
- International Energy Conservation Code 2015
- International Mechanical Code 2015
- International Code Council Electrical Code 2015
- International Existing Building Code 2015
- International Urban-Wildland Interface Code 2015
If you are planning on performing any new construction activities, you are encouraged to make an appointment with the Building Inspector prior to engaging an architect or contractor so that you may have a complete understanding of township requirements.
The Springfield Township Community Development Department (also known as Building & Zoning) is available Monday through Friday during normal business hours to discuss any building, zoning or code enforcement related matters. Our inspectors spend a great deal of time out in the field performing inspections to verify building construction and code enforcement complaints; It is therefore recommended that you contact the Department in advance of your visit.
You can also visit our Frequently Asked Questions Page.